Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tune In Tokyo - Heat Resistant 7"

1. Names Are For Tombstones
2. Jericho Fever
3. Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck
4. Heaven's A Drag
Highwater Records, mid to late 90s
11:30, 21MB 256K MP3

I actually don't know much about this band. Apparently there are a couple of Tune In Tokyos out there, but this is the hardcore-ish one from Austin. I will say this; the layout is nothing special, but I dig the use of overlaying spot colors. I always appreciated it when sleeve designers would play off the medium's strength as opposed to trying to reproduce a blurry photograph or painting which would invariably end up looking washed out with weird coloration.

This 7" spits 4 songs of the Mike Kirsch (Torches to Rome, Navio Forge) school of rock at you in all their tinny glory. It's definitely a fun, energetic listen. Like most of the records that came out of this period, there's no bottom whatsoever to this record. I have no idea what these guys played through, but I can imagine them setting up Marshall JCM 800s and playing late 70's SGs through them (for the non-gear dorks out there: they'd have nice equipment that would otherwise sound awesome) but getting such a crappy recording done with a couple of duct-taped mics and a cassette 4-track. I swear that every band from this era did that. Granted, if you contrast that with the brick walled, pro-tooled within an inch of its life crap recording that most bands do now, I'll take the tinny. At least it's honest.

My favorite track was always Track 3. That's probably because they lifted "Love Will Tear Us Apart" note for note and sped it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment